Monday, September 8, 2008

7 months Gotcha Day

Today is 7 months since Bryson was placed in our arms. So many times I have posts in my head and than I get distracted and busy, then I forget to post. Like most others, I have no idea where the summer went. Before you know it, Christmas will be here. We have had a pretty busy summer. It included trips to the beach, lake, park, zoo, aquarium. Bryson definitely likes to be on the go which is great because so do we. He continues to do well at his new daycare. He happily walks in the door every morning which is such a difference from his old daycare. The teachers have told me how well he is doing there. The other day I asked them if he is very busy during the day and they said YES! Apparently his name comes out of their mouths many times throughout the day. I told them I just wanted to make sure he isn't giving them a break since he never gives us one. He is a very busy boy! He loves to climb and get into EVERYTHING. Awhile back he found the cabinet that our pots and pans go in and let's just say, he is in that cabinet alot! My mom can testify to many conversations over the phone where she heard him banging the pots in the background. I have also noticed him interacted with other children more lately and playing with them. It's really cute to see kids do this. I am happy to say, he is officially wearing 12 months on the bottom (pants, shorts). For others, this is probably no big deal, but for us, it's a milestone. He hasn't put on any weight in the past month and 1/2 and is holding steady at 25 pounds. We are continuing to have major food issues with Bryson. At this point we are working with our speech pathologist and pediatrician to determine if there is an underlying issue or if we just have a very picky child. He also went potty on his toilet last week. It was a complete fluke, but it was still so exciting. Shane bought him a potty and we have it in his bathroom. Every once in awhile before he gets in the tub, he will sit on his potty first. On this particular day, he happened to pee.
He has been doing speech therapy for a few weeks. We haven't noticed much difference yet, but hope to in time. He isn't saying any new words, but he has dropped dada from his vocabulary. Shane is actually now mama. Yes you read that correctly. About a week ago out of the blue, Bryson started calling Shane mama and continues to do it all the time. Needless to say, Shane isn't thrilled about his new name. I have told him to at least be happy he is being called something. I'm still nothing. One day I will be, I hope! He loves saying hi/bye to everyone and everything. He doesn't care if it's a person, car, animal, mailbox, he will waive and say eh (that's his bye). Communication was our biggest struggle with him since he would just sit in a room and cry and we wouldn't have any idea what he wanted. He has been signing more and eat a lot in the past few weeks which makes things so much easier when he wants something. He will bring us into the kitchen when he wants food or a drink. If he wants a snack, we will go through everything in his cabinet and he will shake his head no till we come to what he wants.
In the attachment area, I think we are doing amazingly well! He doesn't mommy shop and is really apprehensive of strangers except for family. When we are out at the park or somewhere, he will usually search for us. He loves to be held, kissed and loves to come up and cuddle in our laps. Nothing is sweeter than when he comes to sit in my lap, we will rock and he will put his ear and side of face to my mouth so I can give him many kisses. Moments like that are the ones I cherish.
It seems like he is sick every few weeks or so. Poor kid can't seem to catch a break. This last time he was sick for almost 2 weeks! I took him back to the pediatrician last week and he ended up having a double ear infection. He also wants us to keep using the breathing treatments (neubulizer) once a day for awhile and we are to give him an allergy medicine daily to help prevent this all in the future. Despite the fact that he is frequently sick, he mood (for the most part) has drastically changed over the last few months. I remember just a few months ago he cried all the time and there were many days I sat down with him and cried. Now most days, he is a pretty happy boy. I still have my days where his grandmothers will call to see how he is doing and I will say "if you want him, you can have him." As each day and each month passes, I love being a mommy more and more. The love I have for Bryson also grows and deepens.

6 comments:

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Happy 7 months! It sounds like he is doing so well. Congrats on the attachment progress and the fact that he has developed that stranger anxiety-that is such a wonderful thing! Also, that's great that he is in 12 month pants. I definitely can relate to your weight and food struggles! :) It's great that he is such a busy boy-I hope you get a break sometime! :)

Troy and Rachel said...

I enjoyed your post with all the updates. It is great that he is leary of strangers now and that he searches for you. He looks like such a happy boy and the speech and eating will come in time, maybe with a little help. I know I have to keep reminding myself how young our little one really is!!

Bo & Cameron said...

I LOVE LOVE his hair style!! I hate i'm a million miles and away and get give him a hug & a kiss.

Kris said...

Happy anniversary!!! The changes in him are amazing!! YOu guys are doing a fabulous job.
Loving the hair, what a cool dude!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy fou all of you. I am happy that he is attatching well with you and your family and I am thrilled for you that you are loving being a mommy to him. Thank you for all the updates. It sounds like he is making great progress. He still has a way to go, but it will surly come in time... especially because you are all working so hard with him. Best wishes!

Christen L said...

Wow! I just got back settled in at home and finally found time to check out my favorite blogs. When I saw this picture of Bryson, I almost fell over. He has gotten so big!! :) What a cutie pie!?

Glad things are going well for you all.