Thursday, January 8, 2009

11 months Gotcha Day

Wow, we are one month shy of our one year Gotcha Day. Bryson continues to be the love of my life and brightens each day. It's hard to remember a time when I didn't trip over toys or didn't hear the footsteps of my 2 year old. I guess it's time for some updates.

Speech
In the last several weeks, Bryson has started babbling which is something he never did before. He never even used to make sounds. It is so cute to hear him try to have a conversation with us (if only we knew what he was saying) and to sing songs. He has also added several words to his vocabulary: ball, book, baby, bye, tree (eeh), boo boo, bubbles, boat, moon. Occasionally he will even try to copy what we say. Guess it's time to watch our mouths!

Eating
As for B's eating issues, they had seemed to of gotten better the first two weeks of the H-pylori and reflux medicine, then he was over it. Things are back to the way they were. We had an appointment with his GI doctor last month. He weighs 29 pounds and is 33 1/3 inches tall. He is growing, so she said not to be too concerned. Because of these eating issues, he qualified for another hour of speech therapy through Early Steps. His previous speech therapist did not have any extra time in her schedule, so she voluntarily gave her time with him up. We will miss her dearly as she was so great with him over the last few months. His new speech therapist started the week of Christmas and she mainly deals with feeding therapy. She said it will be a long road to find what works best with him.

School
B continues to do well in school and seems to really enjoy it. He gives me a kiss every morning and tells me goodbye as he walks in the door without looking back. Hard to believe that this is the same kid that used to hold my leg screaming in the morning only a few months ago. They had a Christmas program there last month. Each class danced on stage to a song in front of all the parents. B's class danced to Frosty the Snowman and he was happily dancing all over. We were proud parents!

Attachment
I never had many concerns with B's attachment, but as I look back over the last 11 months, I see how far he has come. He loves to cuddle and loves affection. He makes great eye contact. We had our one year post placement report tonight and our social worker asked how his eye contact. At that exact moment, he leaned back in Shane's arms and started touching his daddy's eyes and nose. She said that answered her question. He gives kisses without us asking.

Early Intervention
Since we let his Early Interventionist go a few months ago, he qualified for a music class in place of it. We had been waiting for a spot in the night class to open. It finally did and we started these classes last month. We go every Tuesday for an hour and for the most part, he loves it. I do have to say that some of the kids in the class made B look calm (which is hard to do).

4 comments:

Mark and Sinziana said...

Great update and happy 11 months gotcha day! I was thinking Bryson looked a bit fuller in the last pictures! I think 29 pounds is great! I never knew B's weight, but I guess him and Diego are around the same size and weight - I am hoping Diego will be 28 pounds next month when he becomes 2!

Good job, mama!

Waiting Parents said...

It is so wonderful to hear how well he is doing and how much progress he has made. I am glad you covered the attachment thing. I was curious! Thanks for sharing!

Bo & Cameron said...

Wow Marie! He is doing great! His weight is just 3/pounds under Sabrina now. Happy 11/month gotcha day!

Christen L said...

Hi Marie,

Just getting time to catch up with your blog. This was a great post to see how far he's come! Does insurance cover interventional appointments? I wonder how that will work for Frank and I when we adopt... now I'm curious...