Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tidbits

  • He loves to go for walks in his wagon. Most evenings once daddy gets home, we try to take a walk as a family. We put some puffs in his snack trap, get his sippy cup, put him in the wagon and get the leash for our dog Angel who goes with us. He is usually upset when our walks are over.
  • Right now he is so fascinated with our two cats. He will walk around the house saying kitty, kitty. Whenever he seems them walk by, he gets all excited. I can't say they are very excited to see him since he likes to grab their tails and pull. When I hear them squealing, I usually know why.
  • He loves sweets (table food) and so does his mommy (bad habit). We will often share pudding, yogurt, strawberry poptarts, blueberry muffins. When I get these things out of the kitchen, I am most times getting them as a snack for me, but I guess what is mine is his, right?!? When the snack is gone, I usually have to prove it to him by showing him the empty container or wrapper. He never usually believes me. I always have to give him the last bit (I learned that the hard way).
  • He still HATES the carseat. We have tried giving him toys, but they are usually tossed around the car in about 30 seconds of him being in there. He is good for about 10-15 minutes, than the screaming starts. Most times if I rub his foot, he will calm down. It's not that easy to drive nor is it comfortable to rub your son's foot who is in the back seat.
  • He wakes up in a good mood every morning. I wish his mom and dad could take after him in that sense. My favorite part of the day is going into his room in the mornings. I usually slowly open the door and peak into his room until he catches my eye, than I swing the door open. I am always greeted by the biggest smile. I then take him out of his crib, I hold him while he holds me and we rock a little while I tell him how much I love him.
  • My mom recently taught him how to blow kisses and it is SO cute to watch him do.
  • He knows how to give kisses and hugs. Almost every time I ask for one, he is more than willing to give them. He is getting better about giving others kisses when they ask. The other day, I even got him to give the baby in one of his books a kiss.
  • He really enjoys his books right now. His favorite is a baby Disney book that I am personally tired of reading! I always sit on the floor with him while we are in the living room playing. He will bring me the books to read to him and he will climb up on my lap. We can't usually get past the first page before he is closing the book and telling me all done.
  • He sleeps a good 11-12 hours a night. Yes, I know I am lucky. He has basically slept like that since we got home. Maybe once a week he will wake up crying, but is pretty easy to get back to sleep.
  • He HATES shoes and socks. This really bothers Shane because he wears shoes and socks at all times (except sleeping, showering and swimming). I on the other hand, could do without shoes. Don't get me wrong, I love cute shoes, but when I am home, I never wear any. As soon as we get in the car, in the house, or in the stroller, they are off in about 3 seconds flat. I got tired of always putting them back on, so now I carry his crocs around because they are so easy to slip on.
  • He seems like he is constantly teething. Every time one tooth finally cuts through, we will see his gum swollen in another spot and I think lovely! He is like a running faucet of drool. He is not the only one who wears it on his clothes. I do as well since I am usually wiping his mouth and the closest place to wipe my hands is on my clothes.
  • He is completely uninterested in the TV. He might watch it for a few seconds here and there, but that is it. I have tried numerous Baby Einstein DVDs, Disney DVDs, cartoons, but he could care less. I am not rushing it though.
  • He is going through the open/close, pull/shut faze. He is always closing himself in rooms and opening drawers (and occasionally closing his fingers in them).
  • He is impatient when it comes to meal time. He wants his food and he wants it now! Usually I have to tide him over with puffs while I make or get his meal ready.

3 comments:

Teresa McDonald Bierbaum said...

I saw on the "super nanny" show once that one child hated the car seat. she brought it in the house, let the kids climb all over it, sit in it...whatever for about a week. Well, then once they put it back in the car, it wasn't such a big deal. sounds easier than it probably is. It's TV. It's worth a shot though. The hand turn IS hard. I've done it to keep Kyle awake.

Mom to 2 Angels said...

We are so in the open/close/pull everything out of the drawer phase, too!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

I feel like I am reading one of my old posts about Owen!! He still doesn't like TV but loves opening and closing things and investigating every nook and cranny!

For the shoes and socks problem, we rub lotion on Owen's feet everyday to get him used to feeling stuff on his feet and tried to put them in different textures (grass, aggregate sidewalk, carpet, etc). I used a suede bottomed slipper that Owen couldn't take off to get him used to wearing socks all the time in the house which made it easier for putting on socks and shoes in the car. We used shoes with laces double-knotted too so he couldn't take them off when we weren't looking! He's fine with them now :)

For the car... do you have the Baby Einstein Lights and Sounds Caterpillar that attaches to the back of your seat for Bryson to look at and listen to? Owen has been home 9 months and STILL loves us to turn his caterpillar on in the car! He also has a favorite cd we listen to every time we are in the car--we're tired of it, but it keeps him happy!

How wonderful that he's still sleeping so well!! YEA!! He sounds like such a sweet boy :)